Sunday, 5 February 2012

Stitch & Print

I enjoyed the stitch technical block because it allowed me to constantly experiment. For my samples I had to do a lot of melting, burning and heat pressing of plastic - no stitching at all. I hadn't really used plastic a lot before this project so it was good to experiment with a material I wasn't particularly familiar working with. I liked taking one technique and then stretching it as far as I could. Every now and then I got a bit stuck and thought I can't melt plastic in any other way but then I would do something accidentally and find a new route to go down.
As for print, I really liked experimenting and playing around on photoshop, making the digital prints. I also really enjoyed making the pattern designs using collage and the photocopies for the screen printing. The second week of print was really stressful, there was a lot to take in and a lot to do in such a short amount of time. I really wanted to experiment much more with the screenprinting and I'm disappointed that some of my samples don't reflect what I wanted them too. I got quite frustrated trying to make the right colours with the dyes and pigments and I think I spent too long attempting to make the colours I needed which then left little time to experiment more with the screenprinting. I wanted to overlay my pattern a bit more and make some more stencils to add new dimensions to my design. My pattern was quite busy so I wanted to block out some bits and add solid colour to break up the design if I had more time.

(a couple of my initial drawings for the project)

No comments:

Post a Comment